Episode 103 features Ron Flor de Caña 12. Boxed and bottled, it's 750ml at 35% ABV, or 70 proof and was intended for the domestic Nicaraguan market. In the United States, this is sold at 40% ABV, or 80 proof and it retails for about $40.
Enjoy this episode with a neat pour of Flor de Caña 12!
The official website for Ron Flor de Caña 12: https://flordecana.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1875 - Alfredo Francisco Pellas Canessa immigrants to Nicaragua from Genoa, Italy
- 1890 - Alfredo sets up a sugar plantation and the workers celebrate the harvest with some rum made on site
- 1937 - Flor de Caña is established as a brand
- 1959 - Flor de Caña begins export sales in Central America
- 1980s - The brand stockpiles aging rum, amassing the largest reserves of aged rum in the world
- 1999 - Flor de Caña is sold to 40 countries and 5 continents worldwide
- 2012 - Distillery tours begin, following investment
- 2013 - The branding was updated including the bottles
- 2017 - International Wine and Spirits Competition awarded the brand the Best Rum in the World
This is a sipping rum for sure, just great on it's own. However, you may also want to try it in a rum Old Fashioned.
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf