Episode 112: Cacique Guaro
Episode 112 features Cacique Guaro. Bottled in 365ml at 30% ABV, or 60 proof and it retails for about $3.
Enjoy this episode with a pour of Cacique Guaro if you can find it.
Cacique Guaro's official website: https://fanal.co.cr/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1850 - Beverage alcohol production is nationalized in Costa Rica
- 1853 - Fábrica Nacional De Licores, aka FANAL, is established and begins producing guaro
- 1980 - FANAL brands Cacique Guaro and begins bottling it
- 2015 - Cacique Guaro sells 1 million 9-liter equivalent cases
Most Cacique Guaro is consumed mixed with fruit juice, or consumed neat. But, you can try this "fancy" version of a popular shot featuring Cacique Guaro.
Chiliguaro (makes a batch to share)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- ⅔ cups Guaro - or as much as you want
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped red pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp lizano sauce
- ¼ tsp tabasco
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Blend all the ingredients, strain and store in a glass bottle in the fridge. Serve very cold in shot glasses.
Wikipedia Article on Cacique Guaro
Article on What is Cacique Guaro from the Tico Times
Article on Giving Guaro a Second Sip from the Tico Times
The National Drink of Cost Rica
YouTube Video on the History of Guaro - In Spanish
Canadian Distributor's Website
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf