Episode 86: Pusser's Rum
Episode 86 features Pusser's Rum, the official British Navy rum. The Blue Label used in the tasting for this episode is bottled in 750ml at 42% ABV, or 84 proof for the US market, and it retails for $27.
Enjoy this episode with a Pusser's Painkiller®.
Pusser's Rum official website: https://pussersrum.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1655 - The British capture Jamaica from the Spanish
- 1731 - British Naval regulations define a sailor's ration of rum to be 1/2 pint, twice a day
- 1740 - Admiral Edward Vernon, "Old Grog", decrees that the ration should be diluted with water, becoming what's known as Grog
- 1756 - Grog becomes the official way to serve the sailor's rum ration, referred to as a tot
- 1824 - The tot is reduced to a quarter pint of rum
- 1850 - the tot is reduced to an eighth of a pint of rum
- 1970 - The British stop providing rum to sailors in what's known as Black Tot Day, July 31st
- 1976 - Charles Tobias has his first drink of original naval rum and is gifted a demijohn of it
- 1979 - Charles Tobias is gifted Pusser's Rum from the British Navy
- 1980 - Pusser's Rum becomes commercially available
- 1990 - Pusser's Rum is sold to Jim Beam
- 2002 - Charles Tobias and Jim Jackson purchase Pusser's Rum back from Jim Beam
- 2013 - Headquarters is moved to Charleston, South Carolina, USA
- 2021 - Record breaking sales year for the brand
Pusser's is one of a few brands with a trademark on their signature cocktail.
2 oz. (60 ml) Pusser’s Rum
4 oz. (120 ml) pineapple juice
1 oz. (30 ml) orange juice
1 oz. (30 ml) cream of coconut
Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish.
Shake all ingredients with ice, pour into a big glass filled with ice, garnish and enjoy!
History of The Pusser's Painkiller® and Pusser's Rum on YouTube
Cocktail Wonk Interview with Charles Tobias, Part One
Cocktail Wonk Interview with Charles Tobias, Part Two
The Rum Lab Interview with Pusser's CEO Gary Rogalski
Wikipedia Article on Pusser's Rum
YouTube Message from Charles Tobias
Difford's Guide Listing on Pusser's Rum
Book: A Rum Tale by Joseph Piercy Page
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf