Episode 87: Zacapa Rum
Episode 87 features Zacapa Rum, full name of Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23. Hailing from Guatemala, this special rum is aged between 6 and 23 years using a solera system, and bottled in 750ml at 40% ABV, or 80 and it retails for $45.
Enjoy this episode with a pour of Zacapa neat.
Zacapa's official website: https://www.zacaparum.com/
Brief Historical Timeline:
- 1940s - Four Guatemalan liquor producers join forces to form Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala
- 1960s - Dr. Alejandro Burgaleta begins working in quality control for Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala
- 1970s - A "diligent" auditor writes off old spirits stock and suggests they be dumped in the river
- 1976 - Zacapa is launched to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the town of Zacapa
- 1980s - Lorena Vásquez, current Master Blender, joins Zacapa
- 2004 - The bottle design is changed to feature only a band of Petate weaving
- 2008 - Diageo enters into a 3 year distribution and joint marketing deal with an option to purchase a 50% stake in the brand
- 2011 - Diageo buys a 50% stake in Zacapa for a rumored $100 Million
- 2015 - Packaging is further refined to the current version
Just drink it neat, one large cube of ice if you must.
History of Zacapa's Founder and Genesis of the Rum (Spanish language and requires free account)
What You Need to Know About Ron Zacapa
House Above The Clouds Article
Diageo Signs Distribution Deal
Force Majeure Project Listing for Zacapa Redesign
Official show website is: www.liquorandliqueurconnoisseur.com
Join my mailing list: http://eepurl.com/hfyhHf